ISAAC Middle School Program and Experiments
The ISAAC (Improving Student Affinity and Aptitude for Careers in STEM) middle school program consists of three visits to our S2S Technology Center, offering students the opportunity to perform challenging and age-appropriate experiments (4 per day). We use analytical chemistry to introduce students to a wide variety of STEM disciplines and careers. The three major topics covered during the visits are matter, solutions, and separations.
Sample Schedule and Agenda for Middle School Program
Introductory Slides for Day 1
Day 1 Topics – Properties of Matter
- Periodic Table
- Molecules and Compounds
- States of Matter
Day 1 Experiments
- Acid + Base = BOOM!
- Science Cents
- How Sweet it is!
- Name That Salt
Day 2 Topics – Properties of Solutions
- Solubility and Miscibility
- Ideal vs. Non-Ideal Solutions
- Mixtures and Suspensions
- Physical Characteristics
Day 2 Experiments
- Ouch! How Sunscreens Work
- I Can’t Believe I Ate the Whole Thing (Acid/Base Titration)
- Working With Solutions and Why They Are Not Always Ideal
- Time To Go Green (Plastics Recycling)
Day 3 Topics – Separation Science
- Physical Separation
- Wet Chemical Separation
Day 3 Experiments
- What a Pain (isolate the active)
- Slip Sliding Away – Gulf Oil Spill Analysis
- Too Much? Caffeine in Energy Drinks
- Plop Plop, Fizz Fizz – Measuring how fast medicines dissolve
Click here to see a detailed list of ISAAC middle school programs and experiments.