The ISAAC (
- Conducting challenging experiments, side-by-side with a professional scientist, in an authentic laboratory setting, using sophisticated laboratory instruments, creates a positive and memorable experience for the students.
- Removing the students from their normal routine and bringing them into a functioning laboratory work environment generates excitement and reduces the intimidation that often accompanies STEM related learning.
- Sharing the long term financial gain of a STEM career and the demand for these jobs in a 21st century global economy motivates students to pursue science. Students, working directly with successful technologists and entrepreneurs, see first-hand the potential financial and long-term benefits of a career in a STEM related field.
ISAAC Middle School Program
- Engage middle school students with three visits to our S2S Technology Center over the course of a school year.
- Offer the opportunity to perform challenging and age-appropriate experiments (4 per day) using scientific methods to solve contemporary problems. S2S uses analytical chemistry to introduce students to a wide variety of STEM disciplines and careers. The three major topics covered during the visits are matter, solutions, and separations. Specific examples include exploring the world of product development and formulations as students develop their own sunscreen and test them versus commercially available products. Additionally, students experience a life in the day of an environmental scientist as they test samples of beach sand to determine the impact of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Create excitement in students as they work in an authentic laboratory environment and are provided with a clear vision of a great career opportunity. According to their teachers, these students are much more likely to participate in class, complete homework assignments and prepare for tests after participating in the ISAAC program.
ISAAC High School Program
The ISAAC (
(**The Environmental Science program was created in partnership with the Great Swamp Watershed Association and the first year of the program is being sponsored by Sanofi.)
- Engage high school students in highly technical one-day experiences, e.g., the Pharmaceutical Day Program, which presents students with a challenge to confirm and identify contaminants in an over-the-counter drug.
- Offer future opportunities to take part in programs in forensics, bio-technology, engineering, and computer science, among others.
- Present career alternatives and make their earning potential clear, so students continue on the path to higher education and careers in STEM fields.
- 88% said the S2S experience was effective in achieving the goals of inspiring, motivating and educating students to further pursue STEM subjects and careers.
- 96% said the experience supported the classroom and 100% said it supported NJ Core Curriculum Content.
- 98% said they are recommending S2S to their colleagues and would like to return with future classes.
- 82% of all students said they would like to return for a new set of experiments.
- 42% of students exhibited a measurable increase in affinity for a career in STEM.
- 81% of the students demonstrated an increase in their knowledge in specific fields of study.